This book covers 5 timeless principles to re-engage tough kids in school. It's a fresh approach to managing and helping students who are resistant or non-responsive to standard forms of discipline in schools. It provides a number of alternative strategies and lessons that can be useful for classroom and special education teachers, counselors, social workers, administrators and other educational professionals who are in contact with students who exhibit very challenging attitudes and behaviors in school. The book also contains suggestions, strategies, activities and reproducible worksheets that incorporate the five redemption principles. The following topics can be particularly helpful with students when other methods seem to fail to bring lasting positive change:
- Forgiveness: sincerity, renewal, respect, apology
- Restitution: reflection, privileges & opportunities, appropriate responses
- Recovery: interpersonal relationships, connecting, recognition
- Humor: setting the stage of humor, using class clowns as leaders
- Inspiration: 5 steps to re-engagement, inspired listening, positive recognition
Author: Ed Orszulak, Ph.D.