This book is a unique, eight week, small group guidance program for boys in the 3-5th grades. This novel, expressive art therapy group gives boys a rare opportunity to experience and celebrate different areas of masculinity. As the group works their way through seven exciting lessons, they will examine the definition of masculinity and meaning of brotherhood in a variety of cultures.
The lessons include:
- Joining in at the Round Table with King Arthur and his knights as they learn about chivalry, bravery, and courage
- Have a pow-wow with the American Indians while creating a 6 foot high group totem pole that showcases that animal nature of each member
- Having the group turn into fantastical superheroes who work together to save the day
- Studying under Samurai masters as they learn the art of peace
- “Journey” to England to study the Magician’s Code that binds the Brotherhood of Magicians
At the end of the program, there's a special initiation ceremony that taps members into the Boy Code Brotherhood. This rite-of-passage style ritual reveals the secrets of the group crest, confidential group signals, and group motto. Each lesson also comes with additional extension activities for Super Counselors and high mess activities for Daring Counselors. Also included is a special lesson plan for individual counseling.
Author: Poppy Moon, Ph.D.